A Federal style sideboard that has seen better days.
Not too terrible, just a lot of normal wear and a little missing veneer.
I guess if your between 70 and 80 years old you have earned the right to a little wear.
The first thing I did with this piece is to scrape off the loose veneer with a putty knife, but there was a section that was re glued and was proving to be too stubborn to peel off. I used a hair dryer on high heat aimed directly at the section of veneer that I wanted to remove. The heat softened the glue and allowed me to scrape off the last bit.
A little glue remained on the wood but with a little sandpaper it came right off.
After I paint a piece I always sand it smooth, I don’t like a bumpy finish. A lot of people do, I don’t.
So when I sand the furniture I wanted other colors to come through and not just the color of the wood.
With this piece I did a rough coat of Duck Egg Blue all over and then added random spots of Coco and Pure White. These colors compliment Country Grey which I used as the top coat.
It doesn’t look pretty and it is not completely covered but it does not need to be.
Some of the paint is thicker and this will make it a little raised when I paint the final coat of Country Grey.
Below is the sideboard drying after I have completely covered it with Country Grey.
And the after.And the after with a dog that would not get out of the way.
This poor little dresser has been sitting in my garage for about 3 months now waiting for an inspiration to smack me upside the head.
Fortunately it finally happened because my garage was getting kinda crowded.
I bought a quart of Martha Stewart glaze a couple of days ago along with two pots of brown paint and have been trying to muster up the courage to give it a try.
That along with the new sander my husband gave me for my birthday I was ready to give it a go.
I sanded the top down to the bare wood and stained it with Minwax cherry stain and then a coat of Polyacrylic.
Two coats of Duck Egg blue and then the best part….no sanding.
Now this is where I kind of winged it…
I took about 3 parts glaze to 1 part paint, mixed it really well with my paint brush.
Once it was mixed I painted it on the dresser and then with a wet wash rag wiped it off.
Easy actually. Don’t know what I was so nervous about.
Here it is in all it glory.
Love the way it turned out.